Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baseball and Life


"I walked down to the end of the street tonight and watched a little league baseball game. The kids were the age where most of them still know how to run better than throw or catch. It was the first time I've ever seen someone make an inside-the-park home run on a bunt.

I was impressed by the coaches of one all-black team. They were competitive, knew baseball, and encouraged their players to play as professionals (such as telling them to try to throw out a player stealing second base, even though some of them couldn't throw very well). Most impressive was when a player on their team made a mistake, they didn't berate them, but put their arm around them and talked to them (I imagine about how to improve it next time), told them it was ok, or in some way encouraged them. It did my heart good to see coaches who enjoy what they do, pass on their knowledge, and care about their players as they did!"

No comments: